- The reason why we sometimes have memory loss, splitting headaches and loss of focus when consuming excessive amounts of alcohol is because our body over-produces a chemical known as Cytokines. Actually, the body uses these cells to fight infections. But an overdose of cytokines can cause muscle pain and headaches.
- Why do they say that red wine is good for the heart? Because it contains Resveratrol, which is a strong antioxidant. Scientific studies would show that antioxidants such as Vitamin C or E, helps prevent illness or diseases. But studies also claim that excessive supplementation is also harmful. So it should be taken in regulation.
- “Martini, shaken not stirred.” One of the famous lines of James Bond. But what does that really mean:
- On the rocks — drinks are served and drunk over ice.
- Straight up — drinks are shaken or stirred with ice; the ice is then taken out before being served.
- Neat — drinks are served and consumed with nothing added.
- Alcohol causes dehydration. When consuming alcoholic beverages, it should be balanced out by drinking water so you will be rehydrated.
- You have seen the terms 40% Proof or 70% Proof, in bottles of Vodka. What does that stand for? Alcohol Proof is the amount of alcohol in the said drink. The computation is that it is twice the percentage of the actual amount of alcohol. So if the bottle indicates 40% Proof, the drink has 20% alcohol content.
Drinks with the Highest Proof:
Everclear - 190 Proof
Irish Poteen – 180 Proof
Devil’s Springs Vodka – 160 Proof
Bacardi 151 – 151 Proof
Enigma Absinth – 144 Proof